Friday, November 2, 2012

Whip it good


When the subject was first brought up, I told people that I didn't write BDSM. As it turns out, I was wrong. Ha. Ha. Ha.

No, I haven’t jumped on the proverbial bandwagon. I've been researching BDSM. Heavily. First let me say what I thought of when someone said BDSM. I read a book once years ago that completely disgusted me. The heroine was raped, humiliated, and beaten. (All without consent I might add. There was no negotiation of a scene or role-play.) I could only read 30 pages before I had to return the book. It was written by a best-selling author and had gotten good reviews. I was shocked by the content. The “raciness” wasn't what offended me, it was the treatment of the heroine. That book remains to this day the ONLY book I have ever returned. In the past when someone mentioned BDSM, this book is what I thought of.

In reality, I knew that there was a whole lot more to BDSM than extreme domination. However, that awful story is what my mind jumped to. Recently, I decided that I needed to get that old image out of my head.

What have I learned? A lot. One thing major is this, my books have contained elements of BDSM from the beginning.

As it turns out, you don’t have to have extreme kink, or domination/submission for your book to fall into the category of BDSM. Although, books within the category can certainly contain some or all of those elements.

Did you realize that fetishes of all kinds are considered part of the BDSM scene? I didn't before. My research is ongoing and it is fascinating.

Let me give some examples of my work that I referred to earlier.

Object of My Affection (Lilith Mercury Book Two) has a scene with mild bondage and cherry juice.

The Dread Moon (Lilith Mercury Book Three) has a scene of autoerotic asphyxiation. Not to mention some serious back scratching and deliberate pain/pleasure moments of other kinds.

Constant Cravings also has a scene in which the heroine requests to be choked during sex.

Wicked City has some light spanking. (And multiple partners, but that’s something else entirely.)

Sex Symbol has a sex scene with a partially transformed werewolf. Not sure what to call that, but it’s definitely very kinky.

I’m sure I've forgotten other examples, but you can see what I mean. BDSM doesn't have to be full-on whips and chains.

Does anyone else feel enlightened by this? Ha. Ha.

As I said, the more I read, the more I am fascinated. So, it turns out, I do write BDSM in my stories. I had the wrong picture when the subject was mentioned before. I’m working on changing that.





No comments: