Sunday, June 24, 2012

Catching up, and a guaranteed way to get more work done

I just realized it's been a while since my last post. Wouldn't want anyone to think I dropped off the face of the earth or anything. Ha. Ha. Ha. If you've been reading my blog lately you might see that I've had a lot of issues staying motivated. Not just with writing, but with life. It's often very difficult to stay positive. However, I've found something that really works. Stay off the internet and don't watch the news. Seriously.

I've been spending drastically less time online and I feel fantastic. I see just enough news to know what's going on in the world, and then I turn it off. I log in to Facebook maybe once or twice a day (this is a lot less than usual for me), but I don't read every post. Why? Because many are negative and they will only bring me down. That may sound rude or harsh, but you gotta look out for yourself.

I've also been checking my email from my phone. It makes the process simpler and I'm not chained to the computer.

This strategy has so far helped me start a garden, clean my yard, write more words per week, and spend quality time with my son.

When I turn off the computer and write by hand, it amazes me how much better my work is. By the time I turn on the computer to type it all up, I have even more to add and embellish. It's fantastic!

On another positive note, I've been working out more. By turning off the computer, I'm not wasting so much time on things that really weren't helping me get any work done. Now I'm getting into better shape AND I've got a novella that's coming along nicely.

Oh, and my pumpkin garden is looking great! If you can't tell, I love fall. October is my favorite month, and Halloween is my favorite holiday. I spend all year looking forward to that first hint of fall in the air. *sigh*

Here are the varieties I'm growing this year. Blue moon, Atlantic Giant, and Moonshine. Of course, there will be regular Jack-O-Lanterns as well as some mini-pumpkins called Jack-Be-Little. As of right now, I've got 73 healthy plants.


No comments: