Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Mirella Patzer - Featured Author

Please help me welcome Mirella Patzer to the blog today!

THK. Tell me about yourself. Anything you would like readers know about you.


My name is Mirella Patzer, and I'm first generation Italian Canadian. I love to read and write and cook. One day, I'd like to write a cookbook featuring some of the old Italian recipes handed down from generations. I live in Cochrane, Alberta, Canada which is just outside of Calgary and a short drive to the Canadian Rockies. I've been a manager at a local police department for 28 years, have met Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, and have owned American Saddlebred horses.

THK. Tell me about your current and upcoming releases.


My current release is Bloodstone Castle. It is a medieval romantic suspense and can be purchased on Amazon.com and book sellers. For an autographed copy that comes with a little bag of Italian candies and an actual bloodstone, visit my website at: http://www.mirellapatzer.com/.

THK. What genre do you write it? What drew you to write in that genre?

At this stage of my writing career, I've only written historical fiction. Years of research have kept me writing in the 10th century. However, once I complete a trilogy of books in that era, I'd like to branch out into historical westerns and family sagas. I love the medieval period because life was brutal back then and there is lots of opportunity to learn. But I'd love to write westerns because I live only a 20 minute drive away from Heritage Park in Calgary, an authentic, large historical village complete with bakery, dentist office, barns, mills, forts, etc. I love it there and can easily disappear for hours. With such fabulous research right at my doorstep, I can't wait to start, but only after I complete my current works in progress.

THK. How many books have you written? How many have been published?

I have been very fortunate, because everything I've written, has been published. My first novel, Heinrich the Fowler, was published in 2004. I have had 3 short stories published. And now, I'm so fortunate to have Bloodstone Castle published and released by Enspiren Press.

THK. What would you say is your most interesting writing quirk?

Hm, well, I collect book marks. I keep them all in a mug and when I read, I change my book mark. I also have a quirky way to choose the next novel I want to read from my book shelf by counting to the seventh book after the surname of the last author's book I read. How's that for quirky!

THK. What is the hardest part of writing?

I find the hardest part of writing is completing the first draft. I find it much easier to polish and edit, because that's when I add the descriptions, scenery, and little details that bring a scene to life.

THK. What do you read for fun when you’re not writing?

My bookshelf is full of historicals from some of my favourite authors such as Elizabeth Chadwick, Christopher Gortner, Sharon Kay Penman, Michael Ennis, Wilbur Smith, Pauline Gedge, to name just a few.

THK. Any words of encouragement for unpublished writers?

I recommend that you join and participate diligently in a critique group. I prefer on-online groups with Yahoo. Critique groups help authors see what they themselves are blind to and help authors polish their work. The final product is much more professional with far fewer errors. Often, published authors and editors participate in these groups, so it's a way to get free editing through reciprocation. This will help increase your chances for publication.

Links where you can find out more about Mirella and her books.
http://www.mirellapatzer.com/

2 comments:

Mirella Patzer said...

Hi Tracey!

Thanks very much for the warm welcome and for hosting me on your blog today. I'm very excited about being here.

I love books with a touch of the paranormal! I haven't written one yet, but I'd love to one day.

I love your blog too! The colorsd and the topics are fascinating too.

Tracey H. Kitts said...

Thanks, Mirella:) I love history, castles, and wouldn't you know it, Italian. LOL

So, your book sounds like a great read to me:)

Glad you could be here and I'm glad you like the blog:)