Saturday, March 26, 2016

I'm working on it. :)

I get asked fairly often why my next book isn't ready yet. LOL The question might be worded differently but it's all the same.

"If you write a little every day, you must be really slow."

"Why isn't so-and-so out yet?"

"OMG! I've been waiting forever!"

While I'm thrilled that people want to read my work that much, I'm only one person.

Yes, I do write a little bit every day when I'm working on a project. The truth is though, I might only get 30 minutes to myself that day. I'm responsible for a lot besides my actual job. I'm not going to list it all here, but it's a lot. 

Yes, writing is my only "job." That doesn't mean that when I'm not writing I'm sitting around on my butt. That is a big misconception about writers. And it's pretty insulting.

There are very few days where I have the whole day to work. I simply can't get that much peace and quiet or time alone. Most of the time, even when I am alone, I have other things that I have to take care of. That doesn't mean that writing isn't important. It means that if my pets get fed and walked, I have to do it. If the house gets cleaned, I have to do that to. See what I mean?

I've had people tell me, "The house will wait on you." Exactly. And knowing that it will only get worse until I clean it gives me a serious anxiety attack. LOL I cannot write if the house is filthy. I just can't. It doesn't have to be perfect, just clean and semi-neat.

I also have insomnia. This affects me really drastically sometimes. I sleep when I can finally sleep, or I'd never get any rest at all. Sometimes I'm awake until all hours and end up sleeping until noon. That's not because I'm lazy, it's because I was finally able to rest and I basically passed out.

I've also got a pretty aggressive release schedule for 2016. I'll be putting out one book a month.

Anyway, this post isn't to gripe or complain. I am very grateful that people enjoy my books. But to be honest, getting comments asking me why I don't write faster makes me feel like shit. It's all about how it's worded. I'm not talking about people who just want to know a release date. That is a different matter entirely.

I do what I can, and I do it just as fast as I can. 






No comments: