Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Moral of the Story

I was just wondering. Has anyone ever watched a movie, or read a book and truly taken something away from it? Possibly even a life long lesson? Maybe something scared you so bad you always think about it. Maybe an epic love story inspired you to find your own passion. For me, there are a few such cases. I remember the first time I read J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit. It inspired my sense of adventure, and believe it or not, love of dragons. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea made me to this day afraid of what is beneath the waves when I go to the beach. Although Johnny Depp made me want to take my chances:) A Knight in Shinning Armor, by Jude Deveroux made me cry off and on for a week. Interview with a Vampire, made me change my mind on a career in journalism. And Bram Stoker's Dracula taught me what I call "sympathy for the devil."

I love a good story. I love reading or watching a good story almost as much as I enjoy writing one. I still have the books listed above, though I've since given 20,000 Leagues and The Hobbit to my son. He shares my bizarre love of Smaug. LOL I just remembered another, but it's one of my favorites, and one I won't be sharing with my child. It's a romance by Nan Ryan, and I've had it since I was in middle school. It's called Sun God. It's about the story of an indian named Tonatia. (Hope I spelled that right. It's pronounced like it looks.) If you've never read it, and it can still be found, I highly recommend it. You will cry, but you will love it.

So, what's inspired you, or taught you a lesson? I'd love to hear it.

No comments: