Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Resolutions? Not exactly.

For the most part, I don't believe in New Year's resolutions. I mean, if you are going to make a positive change in your life, why wait? If you think you would benefit from changing your diet or not smoking anymore, then why do you need to wait for the New Year?

I bet there are more people working out today (just the second day of the year) than any other time all year long. Hey, if you can stick with it, I'm all for it. I'm all for people feeling empowered enough to make positive changes in their lives.

Here's my suggestion, take it or leave it. Don't think of whatever you would like to accomplish as a "resolution." Think of it as a goal. Doesn't that sound better already? Goals don't necessarily have a time limit. They are something that we stretch ourselves to reach. Say, (for example) that you want to lose 100 lbs. and by the end of the year you've only lost 50. Does that mean you haven't met your goal? Hell no! It means you're halfway there! Congratulations, that's wonderful:)

If you haven't accomplished everything you thought you should have in 2007, so what? Don't focus on what you didn't do. Focus on what you did do. What did you accomplish? What steps did you take to bring you closer to your goals?

Please don't take this the wrong way, because I don't say it to brag. But, I had two books published this past year. I am thrilled! Those are two steps closer to me becoming a full-time author. That is one of the goals I have set for myself, to be able to pursue my dream full-time. That is a life goal, not a resolution. Each day (and month, year, etc.) I try to come one step closer.
So have I set any new "goals" this year, even after saying that I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions? I sure have. I want to be better. That's it. That's all there is to it. I want to be better. A better writer, a better spouse, a better parent, a better friend, and confidant. I simply want to be better.

So, how about you? What goals do you hope to accomplish or to take another step toward in the New Year? Whatever they are, I wish you success.

No comments: