Thursday, February 28, 2008

Writing from the inside out

Have you ever read a story and felt like the writer had actually been there? I'm not talking about just painting a pretty picture, but the ones that really put you inside the action. I was just thinking about the awesome task of world building and thought I'd ramble on a little bit here:) Maybe task isn't the right word either. That sounds like work and to me this is fun. Of course I take it seriously. I even take the jokes I tell seriously, but I do love what I do.

In the book I'm working on right now I'm trying to accurately relay to the reader what I see when I close my eyes. I read a scene to my husband last night to see if he got the picture. When I was done I didn't ask, "What do you think?" or "How did that sound?" I asked, "Did you see that?"

I believe that an effective storyteller can tell the story from the inside out. People don't just want to know where you are, they want to see the sights, hear the sounds. They want to feel it, taste it and if it's good looking they might even want to touch it. LOL

A great example to me is when I read The Lord of the Rings for the first time. I believed that Tolkien had actually been to Middle Earth. It didn't just sound like bull to me. I felt like he'd just been there on vacation and was telling me all about it.

That's what I want to accomplish. I want people to see what I see. I want to find the right words to help them feel what I feel. And just as soon as I get a clear picture of this next scene, that's what I'm about to paint.

No comments: