Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sex Aids on Retail Shelves?

It doesn't really bother me personally. But I can see how this could potentially offend a lot of people. Here's the article to which I'm referring.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/110965/page/1

I'm all for being liberated and do not personally have a problem with the situation. My only drawback to having more obviously sexual products on the shelves would be having to explain them to my son. I've seen most of these products in Wal-Mart, right at the end of the shampoo isle. I normally strike up a conversation on our way to get shampoo so as to keep him from getting distracted, thus wondering to the end of the isle and saying, "Mom, what’s a Little Gem for?" LOL Actually, they don't sell the Little Gem vibrator at Wallyworld, but you get my point.

The article also talks about the ban on certain products in Alabama. I don't live too far from the state line and have known several women in AL over the years who are pissed about this issue. I mean, who wants to go all the way to Panama City to buy a vibrator?

I do think that as a society we need to stop being so embarrassed by issues dealing with sexual health. For instance when a lot of people hear that there are sex scenes in my books they say something along the lines of, "*gasp* how can you write about stuff like that?" Stuff like what? Sex is a part of life.

Now, picturing my grandmother trying to figure out what some of these products are for, that's a different story. LOL Personally, I'm glad to see The Red Light Special making it's way to store shelves.

2 comments:

Desirée Lee said...

Well they've had personal lubricants on the store shelves for years for women who experience dryness issues. I think the change is very subtle actually. I've seen the warming gels and liquids on the shelf next to the regular K-Y and it did surprises me a little the first time I saw it, but I was not shocked or horrified. Everyone knows that these products are used for sex in addition to the occasional dryness relief outside of sexual activity. I think the industry is finally calling a spade a spade and not hiding behind a so-called 'legit' reason for these products to be available. They are utilizing the public's shifting attitude toward sex and no longer kowtowing to the 'moral majority,' who imho are not the majority and far less moral.

Carpe Noctem,
Des

Tracey H. Kitts said...

:)

Well said, Des.

Thanks for stopping by.