Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Savage Beast

After having had my coffee, and lunch, and calming down significantly from last nights rant, I began to read Hamlet. I was struck in particular by this passage, "I am satisfied in nature." - 5.2.240

Indeed, we choose whether or not we will be satisfied with something. It is either in our nature, or it is not. It is not in my nature to take things I don't have to, or to watch others suffer when I could stop it. It is also not in my nature to withhold my thoughts in one form or another. I think that's why I have such a broad range of interests. It helps me to express myself in someway. I'm the kind of person who needs that expression, whatever it may be. Some days, I do so quietly, others I feel the need to be heard. Some times, I just talk to myself. I consider it all therapy. I also have a warped sense of humor, so please do not take all I say literally. I am bent, but I have not yet broken.

As for my nature, my friend Stacey says I have a hero complex, that I'm always trying to "save" people. Some times I think I just have a jerk complex, but the hero bit is much more flattering.

No comments: