Thursday, January 26, 2017

My readers keep me going

I won't lie, I was having a rough/stressful day today. And then, I decided to take a break and check my email. I got the most wonderful and unexpected letter.

I have asked permission to share excerpts from this letter, but will, of course, maintain the privacy of the reader.

The letter was about Frank and The Werewolf Tamer and the Notte Oscura series. It was from a woman who has, due to physical scars, "always felt like a freak."

She said, "I know it's fiction, and Frank isn't real, but this story has inspired me more than words can say. These people are real to me and even though we haven't met, so are you. Your words made me feel like ... NOT a freak, for the first time in a long time. So, thank you, author I've never met who I hope doesn't think I'm crazy. I appreciate your words."

I cried. Okay, I freaking UGLY cried for about 10 minutes.

I needed to hear this so much. And I am so glad to know that I was able to help someone else. It does my heart good to know that I helped improve the way someone feels about themselves. Naturally, I expressed all of this to her and assured her that I do NOT think she's crazy. I think she is brave for opening up like this to a complete stranger. And I think she is amazing for having the courage to be honest with herself.

You guys matter to me. Each and every one of you. Don't ever doubt that. And please, never hesitate to reach out to me. I will always make the time to respond, because you and what you have to say is important to me.

I am going to save this letter and read it again on days when I wonder if I'm any good at this whole writing thing. I will read it on days when I wonder why I keep going. But most of all, I will read it on days when I feel like a freak.




No comments: