Friday, July 20, 2012

I've been busy

I wanted to take a few minutes and give a quick update. As anyone who has kids knows, summer vacation can be busy. Not in a bad way, I've just had lots to occupy my time besides writing. I've been catching up on video games (when I can get a turn LOL) and spending massive amounts of time snuggling my dog, Roscoe. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Other than that, I spend a good amount of time each afternoon carrying roughly 30 gallons of water to my pumpkin garden. (Thank goodness for the recent rain!) It's fun, but hard work. The temperatures here have been insane. With the exception of getting to spend more time with my son, I hate summer.

I'm sitting here daydreaming right now about that first hint of fall in the air. I wonder when I'll wake up and realize that the seasons have changed? They aren't as predictable in the south as you might think. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.

At the moment, besides daydreaming about fall, I've just started editing my latest novella. I'm going to give it a thorough polish before submitting this one. Why am I not self-publishing it? Because as I've said before, I believe a little bit of both traditional and self-publishing is good for exposure. The more I can increase the chances of readers seeing my name, the better.

I'll also be adding some word count, fleshing out descriptions and such. Normally, I don't add much when I self-edit. There are very few changes from my finished draft to the final product. I usually look for errors and re-word a thing or two. However, writing during summer vacation leaves holes in descriptions. LOL I've found this out the hard way. It's more difficult to focus with people in the house and video games roaring in the background. Therefore, this story is getting some extra effort in the editing department. After all, I want this to be a good representation of my work before I send it in.

I've already got my synopsis drafted too, so that's a plus. Synopses are not the monster many people make them out to be. I try to think of it as a "movie review" of my book that delivers the entire plot as precisely as possible. That mentality has made writing a synopsis easy for me. I don't think of the book as "my baby." I think of it as my product and look for the best way to describe my product from beginning to end.

Speaking of my product, I'd best get back to that editing while I've got the time. I just wanted to give a quick update. Happy writing!

No comments: